Monday, December 6, 2021

Pounding

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”


In A Pound(ing) of Mochi, Rushton features Mitsuo Nakatani, a mochi master. We watch him turn sticky rice into mochi. At one point, he is mixing the mochi while another hits it with a giant wooden hammer and this is done is almost warp speed!

He gives the following prompts to accompany this video:

“What do you trust that others will do each day to keep you safe? What do others trust that you will do?”


When I saw this video, I immediately thought that this guy is either very stupid or very trusting. I don’t think I want to be the one trusting the hammer guy. I want to be the hammer guy! It reminded me how much teaching and learning involve a lot of trust. As a teacher, I am probably seen as the hammer guy so it is no wonder that many students are very tentative when learning something new. I want my students to feel safe and know that I would not purposefully hurt them or ridicule them when they make mistakes. This would be a great video to show students and talk about the trust between teachers and learners.

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.

No comments: