Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Nothing in Life is Free


“There is a price to pay for everything. “

I have had this discussion with several people who think that every time they see there is something free, there is no cost. I try to explain that nothing in life is free.

There may be no money being exchanged but there is always a price for something.

Usually, when I find something someone is giving away, I know that I might have to do some work on this item to make it fit where I want it to go.

If I’m visiting a tourist destination, people come up to me and try to offer me something for “free” but first I have to go hear their sales pitch. It is going to cost me my time to get this “free” thing, so I don’t see it as really free.

I get things in the mail to go to a free dinner in order to hear about a sales pitch. Again, my time is the cost.

Sometimes I get offers for a free trip in the mail, but I will have to pay taxes and fees. I do not consider this a free trip.

If you see a sign on a restaurant that offers free wifi, it is usually included only at the cost of a meal.

Usually, there is a catch if something is offered as “free.”

No one gives up something willingly for free. (Unless of course, it is a close friend who is trying to declutter her house. But then again, the cost is actually giving up some of my living space so maybe it really isn’t free.)

What really bothers me is when so-called friends want me to do something free for them at the cost of our friendship. Friends should not impose on friends.

I need to remember that there is a cost for everything free or not free. I need to remind my students this too and maybe one day they won’t be sucked into scams or bad friendships. They need to remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

How do you help students see scams for what they really are? Please share.

Photo by Bernard Hermant on Unsplash

No comments: