Thursday, October 18, 2018

Don’t Pass It On


“If you have not verified something is true, keep it to yourself.  
If you don’t have the time to verify it, keep it to yourself.
If you like the idea, and don’t care if it’s verified, keep it to yourself.
If you don’t care if it’s true, you think it is interesting and want to share, keep it to yourself.
If you can't help yourself because you love sending spammy chain messages to people, resist the urge, keep it to your self.”

I hated chain letters when I was growing up and refused to participate in it.

Over the years, I have gotten other things in the mail from “friends” and they tried to drag me into different “chain” things. Then they tried to make me feel guilty for “breaking the chain!”

I have a choice to determine what pass on and what I don’t. No one can make me pass anything on, especially with threats of disaster and impending doom! Nothing turns me off faster than those.

I’ve tried to let other people know that certain things are a hoax or that it isn’t good to pass junk like that on to others, but some get offended. Again, I can only control my own actions and not others so I gave up trying to stop others. Now, I just ignore those messages and move on.

Students need to know that they don’t have to pass certain things on to others. This includes gossip and statements that will hurt other people. Students need to know that they have a choice and it takes a smarter person to make the right choice. The only way things like this will stop (or at least slow down) is if people stopping taking a part in it.

How do you hand chain mail? Please share.

Photo by JJ Ying on Unsplash





No comments: