Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Knowledge is NOT Power

I’ve been listening to the Kwik Brain podcast and something I heard the other day really stuck with me. If you haven’t listened to this podcast, it has great strategies for better learning.  Jim Kwik stated, 

“Knowledge is not power. It is potential power. It only becomes power when you use it.”

I like to learn new things and get new information but if I don’t actually apply my new skills or knowledge, I tend to easily forget the information.

Just having the information about anything become useless facts if I can’t use them in any way other than a trivia game.

When I apply my new skills or knowledge, I tend to remember what I learned much better.

Suddenly my new information has become powerful when I learned to apply it to situations in my life.

Too many times I think that if I just give my students the information they need, they will have the power to make changes in their lives.

This is not true.

This is why I need to end the lessons I teach with the questions, “How can I use this information in my own life?” This is a question that students need to ask themselves and come up with an answer. In fact, this may be the most important part of the lesson.

I need to make sure they are able to answer this question. If they can’t, this is the time for a class discussion. Others can help with suggestions that a student might not have thought about. Brainstorming is always helpful when I need inspiration. The big problem is when no one is able to come up with suggestions to answer this question. Maybe I haven’t made the lesson message clear enough.

If I’m teaching a lesson where the answer to this question is not important, then maybe I need to take a harder look at my lesson. I need to ask myself why I’m teaching this lesson to begin with? Is it just busy work? Am I wasting everyone’s time? Maybe if the students struggle with the lesson and applying the information, my lesson and not the students may be the problem.

How do you help students apply knowledge? Please share.

Photo by Alora Griffiths on Unsplash

No comments: