Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Freedom of Speech


I’m upset that she was fired and I know many of you may disagree with me. I’m not saying what she did was right or nice but she didn’t do anything illegal. She did not threaten Michelle Obama or use profanity in her comment. Just because she works in the education system doesn’t mean that she should be held to any higher standard than anyone else. In fact, since Michelle Obama is in the public eye, she should have a thicker skin than most people. Anyone in the public arena should.

This makes me think we are making educators go back hundreds of years when teachers couldn’t be married or pregnant and had to live with families of students. Why are we going backwards!

When I became a teacher, there is nowhere that I took some oath that gave away my rights. And just because people may be offended by what I say on my own personal time and space, does not give them the right to take away my freedom of speech.

It scares me as I see every day how our rights are eroded away little by little and the public is allowing this to happen!

I feel this person had a right to her personal opinion and just because she is in education does not mean she gives away this right. She has a right to freedom of speech and even though I may not agree with her or I dislike what she says, she has a right to express what she feels as long as she is not doing it illegally. She wrote her comments on her own personal Facebook page and if people don’t agree with it or they don’t like it, they can block her or not read her posts. No one is forcing anyone to read them.

I don’t like it when people are mean to me or call me names but if they do, I avoid being around them or I walk away. I grew up being called a lot of names and my mother would always say, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” She taught me that those people who do that aren’t worth arguing with or giving them any valuable time. My mother taught me how to handle racism and intolerance without violence. Maybe that is what we should be teaching our children today.

I know there are people who probably think I’m stupid or an idiot and it hurts my feelings but I don’t think someone should lose their job over that. It is their opinion and they are entitled to it. I don’t like it if someone calls me a racial slur but I don’t think they should lose their job over it. I don’t think they should lose their job over something like this if they are doing it on their personal sites on their own time. Even though I may like it, I still feel that they have a right to their freedom of speech.

How do you feel about this situation? Please share.


No comments: