Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Classroom Gratitude


“…make a special effort to include a moment of gratitude in your daily routine. Sometime in your class, stop the lesson, and show some appreciation to your class as a whole.”

Many of my students felt they were unwanted misfits and many were in constant trouble over the years. Many were ridiculed and felt like a burden on others.

On a weekly basis, I would tell my class how much I enjoyed teaching them and how glad I was that they were in my class. At first, they were skeptical but after hearing this at least once a week, they started to believe me. No one wants to feel unwanted or unappreciated.

Sometimes I would explain that when I would get annoyed or frustrated with them, it meant I cared. If I didn’t care, I would let them do whatever they wanted and not care if they learned anything. But it was important to me that they learn and become productive citizens.

Many times I would tell them how much that I respected them and how brave I felt they were to keep struggling and not giving up.

A lot of my students had never been told this by a teacher or even their family. The more I showed my gratitude, the more they tried. The more I showed by example how I respected them, they learned to show their respect back.

I liked to explain to them that we were like a big team and we had to help each other. We had to appreciate each other’s strengths and use them to learn from them. I explained how thankful I was to learn from them every day. This always shocked them because they always thought a teacher knew everything! I would show them that I learned how to be a better teacher from them because each student is like a fingerprint and no one person is alike. They all have different learning styles and ways of learning that are different from each other. Every student teaches me how to be a detective and figure out what works best for them. I explain how lucky I am that they are patient with me as I learn this.

This attitude of gratitude also helped me when I felt frustrated and depressed that I wasn’t making as much progress as I would like. I would stop myself and remind myself how thankful I was for my class. I would think about all the little steps they have taken towards success and remind myself that change doesn’t happen overnight.

How do you show gratitude to your class? Please share.

No comments: