Thursday, February 4, 2016

In Made/Done With Love from Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,


What handmade gift would you like to tell us about?


The best handmade gift I ever got was the wedding gown that my mother made. It was at the end of my first year of teaching and I did not have a lot of money. My parents didn't have a lot of money either but my mother said she would make my wedding gown. You see, my mother was the best seamstress I had ever known!  I was getting married in June so my mother came to visit in April. We went shopping for a pattern and bought the material so that she could make it in Florida when she went home. Since she made all of my clothes growing up she knew exactly what size I was. She added some embellishments to the gown and I never saw it until she arrived three days before my wedding. It fit perfectly!


Now that I make a lot of handmade gifts myself, I realize how much love my mother put into my gown.  I realize that handmade gifts mean a lot to me because the person put a lot of personal time, effort, and love into what was made.


During these tough economic times it is hard for many people to buy gifts for others. this is a great time to show my students that handmade gifts could be more meaningful to others than buying a gift. Since it is just February,  it is a good time to think about making gifts for the end of the year. it is a good time to plan and search for what you want to make.


I also like to take the time to show them gifts that I have made for others. This is a good example for them to see so they realize  even adults like to make handmade gifts and like to get handmade gifts.


What is your favorite handmade gift that you received? Or what is your favorite handmade gift that you gave to someone else? Please share.

Original photo by Pat Hensley

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--What a lovely story. You are so fortunate to have gotten a gift--a gift of love--like that.