Monday, March 8, 2021

To My Future Self

In A letter to your future self from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin asks,

What would you say to your future self?

I thought it would be more fun to ask my students to write a letter to their future selves. I think of elderly people I’m around and think that one day that will be me. I see them do things that I hope when I get their age, I will do differently. Writing a letter to my future self will be a way to remind myself of these things.

Here is some advice I would give to my future self:

  • Be more flexible. I have heard that the older you get, the more set in your ways you get.
  • Listen to your children who give you advice. I remember my parents ignoring our advice.
  • Watch out for scams. It seems as you get older, you are more trusting and vulnerable to scams.
  • Stay active. People who stay active live longer. Don’t just sit in front of the TV and stop moving.
  • Choose healthy eating habits and stay away from unhealthy choices.
  • Don’t keep telling people how good it was in the “good ol’ days.” No one really wants to hear that they should go back to the way things were. The world is a different place now.
  • Find a way to share your talents with younger generations. Don’t let a specific skill you have go into extinction.
  • Surround yourself with positive people. It is too easy to talk about your aches and pains and the negative things in life. Stay positive.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Others feel thankful to be able to help you.
What would you say to your future self? Please share.

Photo by CDC on Unsplash

No comments: