Thursday, March 18, 2021

Audience and Purpose

In “Well, it seems great to me” from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin states,

“But if your music, your graphic design, your website–whatever your work is–isn’t resonating with the market, it might be because you forgot to make it for them.”

As I learned the hard way, I didn’t always realize that the way I learn best isn’t the best way my students learned. When they weren’t successful, I felt frustrated because it seemed clear and easy to me. I was explaining and teaching the way that I found it clear and easy.

I noticed that my teaching style did not match their learning style after paying attention to their learning styles.

Was my goal to teach myself or to teach my students? I needed to adapt the way I teach to make it best for them.

The students I taught were able to learn better once I adopted a new teaching style. They were understanding the material and able to apply their learning to new situations.

I admit that changing my teaching style was challenging for me but it was worthwhile. My knowledge and experience allowed me to make this change where my students could not. I was able to adjust my teaching strategies to make learning more meaningful for my students.

As the students became successful, I confessed to them that I had discovered what was causing us difficulties. I explained that learning is a collaborative effort between the teacher and the student and that we needed to find a strategy that works for both of us. Through being open with my students, I was showing them that it is okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. Also, I encouraged them to share with me what they thought might help them learn better since their input was vital. The more successful the students became, the more confident they became in advocating for their needs.

I need to remember who my audience is and what my purpose is. By doing this, my final result will be more successful.

Do you change your teaching strategies? Please share.

Photo by Jonas Jacobsson on Unsplash

No comments: