Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What If?

In Let Go by Franklin Habit from Lion Brand Notebook by Franklin Habit, he shares, 

“So when students ask, “What if…” I tell them to try it. Play. See what you get. If it doesn’t work, who cares? If it does work, you may have come up with something that pushes knitting forward a little bit.”

I play the “What If…” game a lot in my life. Sometimes it keeps me from doing something I really want to do so I try to finish the sentence with “What is the worst thing that could happen?” and as long as physical pain or death is not an answer, it helps put the fear in perspective.

“So when students ask, “What if…” I tell them to try it. Play. See what you get. If it doesn’t work, who cares? If it does work, you may have come up with something that pushes knitting forward a little bit.”

Franklin Habit was talking about knitting in this post but I think this attitude also applies to education and teaching.

Many teachers are always worried about “What if…”
  • What if I make mistakes?
  • What if my lesson is terrible?
  • What if my students don’t “get it” and get frustrated?
  • What if the experiment doesn’t work?

I feel like many of my lessons ended up as experiments. I hoped it would work out and I planned it as best as I could. I took in consideration all the “what ifs” and tried to account for any of them. So what is the worst thing that can happen? They don’t get it and I have to try something different tomorrow. If I make a mistake, the students will see I’m human and not a perfect being.

Students are worried about “What if…”
  • What if I make mistakes?
  • What if people think I’m stupid?
  • What if I look silly while trying?
  • What if I don’t “get it” and the teacher gets mad at me?

I try to head off my students’ “what ifs…” at the beginning and sometimes often every week. I tell them that an error is not a terror. As long as no one gets hurt or dies, we can always redo. If people think you are stupid when you make a mistake, it is only because they are hiding their own fears and relief that it wasn’t them making the mistake. Anyone who tries something that will make them a better person will never look silly. And the most important thing of all – I will not get mad if you don’t understand it. We will just have to look for a different way to help you figure it out. We both may get frustrated but that only means that we care. If we didn’t care, we wouldn’t have any feelings about it so that is okay. We will work on this together.

How do you handle the “What ifs…”? Please share.


No comments: