Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Shipping – Last year and in the Future

shipping In I shipped in 2013 - you can too from Blue Skunk Blog, Doug says,

“‘What did you ship?’ is a great question for all of us to ask ourselves. What, beyond just doing one's job, did you accomplish (not try to do, not intend to do, not think about doing, not hope to get done, not plan to do - but actually DO) in 2013? What did you do that was a little bit scary? That you might have drawn criticism for? That may change the world just a little bit?”

And then he asks,

“What did you ship in 2013 and what will you ship in 2014?”

So here is what I “shipped” in 2013:

1. I presented a program and speaker to the church women about the Red Cross and fire safety. I enjoyed some reminders that I had forgotten about and hopefully some of the elderly ladies were reminded of some safety things also.

2. We bought a camping trailer and learned the ins and outs of camping with a trailer. It is interesting how many of these new lessons can be applied to other things.

3. We had to repair and ready a rental house for a new tenant which involved a lot of time and money!

4. I took an online Mapping with Google course. I’m hoping to use the knowledge for future trips.

5. I taught a graduate class for Furman in July (Practicum for teachers getting their Master’s in Special Ed.) This is my chance to share my knowledge about special education.

6. I attended the Furman faculty retreat and was able to interact with fellow professors that I don’t normally see.

7. I went to Myrtle Beach to meet up with my niece and her family from NY. I haven’t seen them in a few years so it was important to reconnect with family.

8. I taught an undergraduate class for Furman during the fall semester (Education of Students with Disabilities). This was an exciting and fun class to teach. I learned as much from them as I hope they learned from me.

9. I joined Furman Link which promotes fellowship among women of the University by providing social activities, planned programs and interest groups; by welcoming newcomers to campus; and by supporting projects relating to the University and community.

10. I attended the South Carolina Ed Tech conference and learned some new stuff along with networking with friends – old and new.

11. I attended Furman volleyball games to support my student who was a player on the team. I think it is important to support my students outside the classroom.

12. I visited Disney World 7 times in one year thanks to an annual pass that we had. It is amazing how much I learn about human nature by people watching.

13. I attended the Spring Wildflower Pilgrimage in Tennessee where I learned so much about nature from experts while hiking.

14. I volunteered with the Red Cross and was able to come to the aid of people who lost a lot in local disasters.

15. I was a judge at the regional robotics tournament. It was amazing to see middle school students thinking outside the box!

16. I was interviewed on several podcasts. This was a great chance to share my beliefs and strategies that work in the classroom.

In 2014:

1. I hope to do some traveling around the country and reconnecting with friends. I think nurturing friendships are important.

2. I plan on teaching the Practicum again this summer.

3. I’m hoping to go to the Spring Wildflower Pilgrimage again if we are not traveling across country.

4. I’m hoping to go to Hawaii this year since I have never been. It will leave only Wisconsin left to visit in order to say I’ve been to all 50 states.

5. I will continue to volunteer with the Red Cross because it warms my heart to be able to help other people.

So, what did you “ship” in 2013? And what are your “shipping” plans for 2014? Please share.

Image: 'Toasters?'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41864721@N00/4743121155
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: