Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Life in Stitches - A Book Review

ALifeInStitches I recently read the book A Life in Stitches by Rachael Herron. This is the first nonfiction book I’m reading for the year and part of my yearly goal to read more nonfiction books. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

As a knitter, I was very interested in this book because it involved knitting. Rachael Herron shares twenty stories about her life and how knitting was a part of each story. I found it interesting to learn more about an author outside of the fiction books that I’ve read from her. It made me see her in a different way which I think is important for readers to do. I think this encouraged me to look for biographies on my favorite writers.

Many of her stories struck a nerve because I could relate to some of the situations she spoke about. This book was an easy read because the chapters were short and interesting.

One quote that stood out and grabbed me in the first chapter was:

“Hope always came right behind disaster in my dad’s world…”

I thought this was a great quote to use in a classroom in order to encourage my students. If this accomplished writer could talk about failures and disasters in her world, then my students could dream about the future and the possibilities. This would be a great chapter to share with my students.

There is also another chapter about the Blanket of Love and how strangers and fans came together to make her a blanket that would comfort her after her mother’s death. What a great example of compassion and team work. This is another great example to share with my students.

So, if you have a chance, I would recommend this for teachers. Hopefully they would find a chapter or two that would be useful in the classroom.

No comments: