Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day 1 My Favorite Book to Teach or Share

BloggingChallenge On the Free Technology for Teachers Facebook, the twenty day blogging challenge created by Kelly Hines was mentioned and I decided to give it a shot. I’d love for you to join in and if you do, here is a Google Form to list your blog so others can find you along with all the other bloggers who have joined in.

So here is the challenge for today:

“Tell about your favorite book to teach or share. Provide at least one example of an extension or cross curricular lesson.”

One of my favorite books was Four Perfect Pebbles by by Lila Perl and Marion Blumenthal Lazan. Marion Lazan shares the story that shaped her life. She talks about her life in Germany before she ended up in the concentration camp with her family. This concentration camp was the same one that Ann Frank was in. It was an extremely moving story and my students were enthralled with reading it. Part of the reason was that it was a true story and they had a hard time imagining what it would be like living the way she had. I was able to use this as a novel to improve reading skills and writing skills. I also was able to connect it with History lessons.

My students in this self-contained special education class saw hardship from a different perspective. They also were inspired by this author’s courage and perseverance to survive.

The best part of reading this novel was when we invited Marion Blumenthal Lazan to our school to speak to the student body. I joined other schools in splitting the cost and invited the community to hear her speak. My students were the hosts and the school community saw them in a different light and the auditorium was packed full. Even people from the community came to hear her speak.

The biggest thing that the author talked about was tolerance. She felt that was the main message she wanted to share from her book. What an experience! It is one that I would definitely repeat if I had a chance.
What was your favorite book to teach or share? Please share!

Image: 'Project 50 - Day #1 (Moleskine)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52798669@N00/3442114262
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: