Monday, October 28, 2013

Sharing Discus in the Information Age

(I recently attended the SC Ed Tech 2013 Conference. One of the great reasons I like this conference is that it is in my town so I don’t have to pay for a hotel! The other reason is that I connect with so many other educators. I always pick up something new from a session and if I don’t learn something new, I’m always looking at how the material is presented in order to hone my own presentation skills. For the next few days I plan on sharing the notes that I took from the sessions.)

DiscusSharing Discus in the Information Age - Ruth Thompson

Discus – only free for SC residents

Brain pop jr. - k-3

Educator code in Brittanica: Discus7

Access to lesson plan builder

Persistent links /permalink/PURL -consistently points to a specific information source

How to acquire the correct URL to use as persistent links:

Blooms Literature - Use record URL

BrainPOP jr. - browser

Brittanica school use "cite" feature in the tools section

Credo reference - browser

Culture grams - browser EBSCO databases - look for per slink, share, or display link

Ferguson's Career Guidance Center - use record URL

Gale/Cengage Learning Databases

* Biography in context and Opposing Viewpoints in Context - use bookmark feature in the tools menu *Nursing Resource Center and Kids InfoBits - browser

LearningExpress Library - browser, register for your own account

Kids infobits - images for students to use with credit

History reference center

Professional development collection

My Takeaway:

I learned that Permalinks were not just the urls listed in the address bar. I also found a lot of great links from Discus and see how underused Discus is in South Carolina

No comments: