Tuesday, June 7, 2022

The Art of Life

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”

In The Art of Life, Rushton features Chiako Yamamoto, the only female Bonsai master. We learn the story of Bonsai.

He gives the following prompts to accompany this video:
“Think about someone you know who has devoted years to something that gives that person pleasure and meaning.

Try thinking of a question you could ask that would allow that person to share something new with you.

Then, try working with a couple of friends to see how many different variations on that question you can come up with. Along the way, not only might you get some great answers, but you might also learn what it takes to make a question a great one.”


I think of this when I see a beautiful quilt, a beautiful watercolor, or some piece of fiber art. Since I’ve dabbled with these arts and I know how long it took me to make something small and cute but not beautiful. I can only imagine how long it would take to produce something of a larger magnitude. I wonder about the artist and the process they have gone through to master their art. I think it makes me appreciate art more.,

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.

No comments: