Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Filling a Need

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”

In Filling a Need, Rushton features Robbie who has Duchenne muscular dystrophy and is only able to control only his eyes, head and right thumb joint.

He gives the following prompts to accompany this video:

“What do you learn about a guy who both uses what he knows and also spends a lot of his time helping someone else?

We all have things we can do, big and small, and we can give our time and talents to help others. Bill is not the central character in Robbie’s story. Without Bill, though, there might not be a story.

What might you do to bring a smile or even a sense of hope to someone else?.”


I was very moved when I saw this video. First, I could only imagine how hard it must have been for Robbie’s mom. Then I tried to imagine if I was Robbie and what limitations I would have and how dependent on others I would be. What a treasure that Bill was in order to figure out a way to help Robbie. I know how hard it is for some people to ask for help so it is important to ask people what I could do for them instead of waiting for them to ask for help. It is also important to think outside of the box.

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.

No comments: