Monday, April 20, 2020

Gardening for Students

While we are all stuck at home and it is spring, what better time to start a garden. You can start a vegetable garden, or you can start a flower garden, or you can start both!

Here is a great video -Fleet Education for Kids – “As part of #EarthMonth 2020, learn to garden at home with a fun activity for kids in Kindergarten through 5th grade.”

Seeds are available at Walmart, Dollar stores, and many home-improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot. Many of these places have seedlings already started if you don’t want to start with just seeds.

Growing plants is pretty basic. You need soil, water, and light.

I like to start my seeds in pots so I can watch as they grow. I don’t have to worry about pulling them accidentally with the weeds in the beds. Once they have grown enough to identify in a bed, I will transplant them. This would be exciting for students to watch and document the growth by measuring and taking photos.

My problem hasn’t always been getting started but rather keeping my plants alive. I either overwater or forget to water but now that I’m at home all the time it is much easier. With children, you can set up a calendar and keep a record of when you watered.

Gardening can become a great science experiment or just a fun experience.

Sunflowers, zinnias, marigolds, and cosmos are easy flowers to grow from seeds.

I like to get vegetable plants because I’m too impatient for my seeds to grow. I like to grow tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, and yellow squash. My husband likes to try growing watermelon, but we have never been successful because of our traveling. This year we are going to try again.

I like the Square Foot Gardening method and I try to use a lot of principles mentioned in the book.

There are many resources online with lots of great advice. I have found it easier to get advice from people who live locally to me and have had success with growing seeds and vegetables that I like. Usually, they have great advice that pertains to my particular area and climate. Never be afraid of asking a gardener for advice because most of them love to share their knowledge!

What do you grow from seeds or plants? Please share.

Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

No comments: