Monday, January 14, 2019

Take Action

In “Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time” from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin shares,

“A passion for forward motion is the single best way to improve the status quo. And the more forward motion we make, the better we’ll get at figuring out if it’s a good idea next time.”

My husband has a hard time making decisions. He likes to think about them forever before deciding on something and it drives me crazy! I tend to be more impulsive and make decisions too quickly. Luckily, I think we balance each other out.

Sometimes I believe that we get paralyzed into taking no action when it is time to take action and give something a try. If things don’t work out, then you can change action but moving forward will give you some idea of the what you need to do.

When we are traveling, I use the Google map app on my phone to find our destination. Even though I start the navigation process, if we are not moving, I can’t tell which direction we need to go. Sometimes we just need to start moving before I can turn where I need to go.
As long as my decision won’t cause great bodily harm or irreparable damage, I think taking action, any action is preferable to standing still.

When I’m writing something, I want to work on it until it is just perfect, which it will never be. I know there comes a time when I have to bite the bullet and let it go. Others might not ever see the imperfections that I see.

If I need to, I will talk about my dilemma with others so I can get a different perspective. It really helps to do this sometimes because others may offer suggestions that I had never even thought about.

I try to remind myself to think about the consequences carefully before acting in order to curb my impulses. I try to think about the worst-case scenario and if I can live with that if it happens, then it is time to make the decision.

How do you get yourself to move forward and take action? Please share.

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash






No comments: