Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Words are Mighty

In The Power of Words from Sioux's Page, Sioux Roslawski asks,

“What do you think of when you think of the news/the power of words?”

Words are extremely powerful!

They have the power to affect others negatively. They can:
  • Hurt
  • Stun
  • Harm
  • Kill
  • Incite
  • Discourage
  • Humiliate
  • Weaken

They also have the power to affect others positively. They can”
  • Encourage
  • Help
  • Inspire
  • Love
  • Warm
  • Unite
  • Invigorate
  • Energize
  • Strengthen
  • Teach
  • Amaze

I have to be very careful about what I say when I’m angry because of the negative impact of my words. At the time I might mean them but it might not be a good idea to voice them. I need to think about the lasting effects of my words and if I will regret that I said them later. Our emotions are like a beverage glass and when words crack this glass, it can never be put whole again.

I like to show my students different ways that I can still voice my feelings but in a way that might not have a lasting negative effect on all involved. I can write a letter and then decide when I’m not angry if I want to give this to the person involved. I can record an audio message and give that to the person at a later time when we both aren’t angry. I can draw if that is the best way to get my feelings out of my mind.

I also know that I can also have a positive effect on my students by my choice of words. This is very important to me. I can do the same things that I would do if I’m angry but this message might be something the other person will value in the future.

What do you think about words? Please share.










No comments: