Monday, June 5, 2017

Busyness


“Do you wear your busyness as a badge of honor? What are you doing to slow down, refresh, and recharge regularly?”

I tend to overextend myself and then get mad at myself (and probably everyone else at the time) for how crazy my life is.

Sometimes I get so busy that I feel overwhelmed and I shut down. Either my brain just says it’s done or my body gets sick. One way or another,  my body has had enough.

Years ago when I got stressed out (and I didn’t know it), I lost all of my hair.

Now when I get busy and overwhelmed, I make sure I exercise for at least an hour. The exercise helps me burn off frustration and anxiety.

I also knit and spin yarn when I need to relax. The repetitiveness of my actions help to calm me down and relax.

Sometimes reading a fiction novel helps me escape and I get away in my mind.

But I’ve found the best thing I do is I make lists. I start listing all the things that need to be done. By looking at all of the things, it helps me see that it is doable. Then I prioritize the list and reorder them according to what has to be done first. As I finish things, I cross them off the list. This makes me feel like I’ve accomplished things and I can see progress. As long as I’m moving forward, I know I’m not standing still.

I’ve learned that I need to pace myself. I need to take preventative measures and not get so busy that I get overwhelmed.

What do you do about your busyness? Please share.

No comments: