Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Make Your Dreams Come True


“If you have a dream, don't put it off. If you feel a push to do something, make it happen.”

When I was little, my mother used to say, “Where there is a will, there is a way.”

I’ve learned that if I want something bad enough, I will be persistent and keep trying until I achieve my goal. Some goals take longer to achieve than others.

I try not to use “stinkin’ thinkin” and find ways to discourage myself. That is too easy to do and I realize that is one way of trying to avoid failure. Then I realize that if I don’t try, I won’t fail, but I won’t ever achieve anything without trying.

I also want to set a good example for my students. Many of them have failed so many times that they stop trying. I need to help them realize that each “failure” is not bad. In fact, these may just be stepping stones towards achieving their goal. Each failure shows them what they should not do next time and that they need to find a new angle.

Each failure is actually an opportunity to find another way.

Finding another way may involve asking others for help. This is hard to do because I’m afraid that others may only see my failure but I must realize that others will also see my determination. Others may be able to look at the problem from a different perspective and see a new possibility that I might not have thought about doing. Getting other opinions doesn’t mean that I should agree with all of them or do all of them. It just helps to see the bigger picture. When I have a failure, I tend to have tunnel vision and seem to focus on the problem as having only one solution. By opening up to others, it opens up my mind and helps me see that there may be other ways to achieve my goal.

Sometimes I might need to adjust my goal. Maybe my dream is too narrow focused or maybe my dream is too broad. By trying different things, I might want to direct my efforts into a different direction. It is okay to change my dream. This is not a failure as long as I’m not giving up what I want to do because I’m afraid to try.

I remember growing up and wanting to be different things. Each year, I wanted to be something different depending on what books I was reading at the time. I wanted to be a rancher, a farmer, a model, an archaeologist, and many other things. But my real dream was to be a teacher.

This was a hard dream to achieve and definitely involved others. Without asking for help, I never would have achieved my dreams. I hope to be there for my students and help them be successful in achieving their dreams.

How did you reach your dream? Please share.




No comments: