Thursday, October 29, 2015

Math in Knitting

I am always amazed at how much I use math in my knitting. I remember as a child wondering when I would use the math skills I was learning in real life. Now as I knit, I realize that I use them a lot and I’m so glad that I know how to use them. I want to share some of the skills that I use.

Measurement:
Measurement is very important when knitting garments. I need to measure the length of the foot and the circumference when I’m making socks. I also need to be able to weigh my yarn for certain patterns.

Addition and subtraction:
I may need to add or subtract yardage when figuring out how much yarn I need.

Multiplication:
When a pattern tells how many skeins of yarn I need along with the amount of yarn in each skein, I will multiply that information to find out the total yardage needed for the final product.

Percent:
Sometimes the pattern tells me to knit a percentage of my yarn before I do another step. It is important once I know the weight to be able to figure out the percentage required for the pattern.

Algebra:
When I figure out the gauge of my fabric, I need to know how to multiply. Gauge is important if I want a garment to fit right. Once I figure out my gauge and I know the measurements, I can use algebra to figure out how many stitches I need to start off with

Geometry:
Sometimes I need to know a specific shape for a final product. I’ve knit hexagons, rectangles, and triangles. Sometimes I need to know the perimeter or the area of certain parts of a garment.

When I make something I’m proud of, I’m so glad that knew the math skills needed to complete my project. I hope when I’m in the classroom teaching these skills, I can share the practical uses of this knowledge and how I use them in my daily life. By doing this, I believe that the learning can be more meaningful and the students will be more successful.

How do you use math skills in your every day life? Please share.


Original photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: