Monday, October 26, 2015

Advice Given

In The Power of Sharing from Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,

What have you "given" someone in the form of advice or help recently, or what have you received that was helpful?”

I like to offer advice when it is asked. Mostly I give advice to teachers who have a difficult teaching situation or to parents who want to know what they can do to help their child be more successful. Most of the advice I give concerns education because of my many years of experience. I also find it a challenge to try to find possible keys to a student’s success and each student’s situation is like a new puzzle. I find it very gratifying if I can help the student (and parents) find success.

I like to write posts about my recent travel and add places and costs if at all possible. I hope this gives other travelers some idea of what we did in certain places and how much we spent. I try to put the cost of cab fare or entrance fees also. By doing this, I also have a record of our travels in case we return to these places again.  So, I guess there are times I am asking for my own help.

When I am knitting, I might come across something that I don’t understand or can’t figure it out.  I joined a weekly knitting group and there are more experienced knitters there that can help me. I also joined Ravelry, which is an online fiber group, and there is always someone there willing to answer my questions.

I am not the most experienced cook either so I am usually seeking advice when I try a new recipe. Sometimes the recipes have a new term or an ingredient that I don’t have and I’m usually asking friends for help.

I think this would be a great thing to share with students. They need to know that I’m willing to ask for advice as well as give it. No one in this world knows everything and there are others who have different strengths than I do. In fact, I have even asked students for help in thinking of solutions to a problem that I may have.

When have you given advice or asked for help? Please share.

No comments: