Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Magic

magician(Today’s post is for the letter M in the A-Z challenge.)

I have always wanted to be a teacher, ever since I was a little girl. I remember playing school with my dolls and then with my cousins, and then anyone who was willing to play with me. I loved learning of any kind.

I remember thinking that learning was like magic. If you wanted to do something, anything, all you had to do was learn how to do it. There was nothing in the world that you couldn’t do if you were willing to learn it.

Learning to read was like opening the door to the secrets of magic. Reading taught me all of the tricks needed to do to learn anything. I couldn’t believe there were so many books about so many different topics. Now that the internet is available, the topics are endless.

Once I learned to read, I wanted to share this magic with others. I not only wanted to share the magic but I wanted to share the secrets.

I had such a horrible fourth grade teacher that abused her students and from then on, I wanted everyone to know all the secrets of the magic so that they would never have to face failure.

Once I became a teacher, I realized the power I had to share the magic. As I taught each lesson and watched each child understand the concept or skill I was teaching, it was as thrilling as pulling off a magic trick.

But the important thing to share with my students is that they are not just the audience in a magic show. I want each one of them to know that they too could hold the secrets and be the magicians.

Now that I have become a teacher, I realize that teaching is even better than magic. Teaching is so much better than being a magician. Teaching children and changing their lives is even better than pulling a rabbit out of a hat or sawing a person in half!

If you are a teacher, how do you feel about the career path you chose? Please share.

Image: 'Day 167 - The Magician'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35258026@N03/4321365261

No comments: