Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Wind of Life - A Book Review

WindofLifeI recently read the book The Wind of Life by Oliver Neubert.

Mr. Neubert contacted me and asked if I would be willing to review this book and I agreed. I explained that I would be very honest about it, good or bad and he was accepted that. This is the review that I gave the book  and I am not being paid to give this review.

This book is the first book in the Wind of Life series. When I first started reading the book, I wasn’t sure if I would like it. Sometimes when I read fantasy books, I need to be in the mood. Boy was I surprised! I couldn’t put it down. Right from the beginning, it caught my interest and I with each paragraph, I wanted to know more. I like the way the characters were developed and the more I read, the more I learned about each character.

This book was about a fourteen year old boy, Timo, who lived with those on the mountain who could fly. Those that could not fly lived in a different place and never the two should meet! These two races hated each other. Maybe it was the thought of people who could fly that intrigued me. I mean, who never wished they could fly? Timo has to use his gift to bring the two races together.

I think this would be a great book to use in the upper elementary or middle school classroom and have in a school library. It would be great to use for a variety of topics. Themes from the book could include diversity, tolerance, perseverance, mystery, solving problems, friendship, loyalty, stubbornness, adventure. This would lead to great classroom discussions.

This was only book one. Now I have to find Book Two.

No comments: