Thursday, July 29, 2010

SONIA SOTOMAYOR: A JUDGE GROWS IN THE BRONX – A Book Review

SONIA_SOTOMAYOR I recently read the book SONIA SOTOMAYOR:  A JUDGE GROWS IN THE BRONX   LA JUEZ QUE CRECIO EN EL BRONX By Jonah Winter • illustrated by Edel Rodriguez which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

I would definitely give this book 5 out of 5. The story was fascinating and even though it was a children’s book, I was interested in the story too. I really like how there was a Spanish translation to go along with the English words so students who are either English or Spanish speaking can read it. It would be a great story to use when talking about topics such as differences, cultural differences, hard work, perseverance, history, motivation, education and real life. I especially like this because Sonia Sotomayor is a great role model for girls of all ages as well as those dealing with cultural diversity. The story is powerful and heartwarming for all students male or female. As an added plus, the illustrations are wonderful also. Since there really isn’t that much written for students about Judge Sotomayor, this book is a great introduction into her life. I highly recommend it to use in a classroom on the elementary level or even middle school level special education classes.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: