Monday, July 11, 2022

My Father


Three years ago, my father went to heaven on this day. I still miss him. I like to use the anniversary of his death to think about the good memories that I have with my dad. I grew up calling him Papa.

  • My earliest memory is of him is taking the family to an animal park in Upstate New York.
  • I remember when I was little, I liked to sit in his recliner and watch TV with him.
  • During summers, on his day off, every Wednesday, he would go grocery shopping and take me with him.
  • On Wednesday afternoons, he would take me to accordion lessons.
  • If I was sick or hurt, he always had some Chinese remedy that made me better. I rarely ever went to the doctor.
  • He loved to play ping pong.
  • He loved to entertain and have parties at our house.
  • He would invite the Chinese waiters to our house to visit and play ping pong.
  • On the way to the prom, we stopped by to visit my dad at work so he could see me all dressed up.
  • He and my mom drove me to college, 800 miles away, in their camper.
  • He always wore a suit and tie to work when I was growing up and looked so handsome.
  • He drove me to and from high school whenever I didn’t want to ride the bus.
  • He cooked us dinner every day except Tuesday when he went to work early.
  • He made bookshelves for me when I moved into my first apartment after college.
  • He walked me down the aisle at my wedding.
  • He made bookshelves for us when we bought our first house.
  • He enjoyed gardening and had a green thumb. Everything he grew did well. 
  • They would drive up to SC in the summer to visit us.
  • He made worm boxes during a visit when I started to do worm composting.
  • We took them on cruises with us and they seemed to really enjoy them.
  • He would drive us to the port when we were going on cruises without them.
  • He liked to play pool and played at our house and the senior center near his home. 
  • He loved to play the card game Scat when we would visit.


1 comment:

doug0077 said...

I very much enjoyed this post. All fathers, I hope, should want to leave such fond memories with their children.

Thanks for sharing this,

Doug