Tuesday, April 26, 2022

The Rules of the Game

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”

In The Rules of the Game, Rushton features Speedgate, which is played on a field with a rugby-type ball.

He gives the following prompts to accompany this video:

“Using only what you saw in the video, what strategies can you imagine for this game?

Can you come up with strategies that are different from other games you know? Are you even able to come up with rules and strategies that have no reference to existing games?

Try breaking into groups and coming up with something totally different as a game. What was the coolest idea you heard?”


This video overwhelmed me. I think the sound and the fast pace was overwhelming to me. I’m not sure I understood the rules enough to come up with strategies. I’m the type of person that would need to see the game played out a few times to really understand it. I think it would be good for students to get into small groups to come up with a new game. Then decide on the rules and present it to the class. The class could come up with questions to clarify the game better. 

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.





No comments: