Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Autism Acceptance Month 2022

April is Autism Acceptance Month. It used to be called Autism Awareness Month but The Autism Society of America asked people to shift the terminology to this and I like it.

Awareness means that you just need to know it exists.

Acceptance means that you know people have autism and you accept them for who they are.

I watch a podcast hosted by a girl with autism and I like seeing the world from her perspective. She doesn’t see autism as a disability because that implies limitations. She sees autism as a different way of life just as people would see someone who is short or tall.

I’m glad to see movie theaters having time set aside for those with autism to see movies. It allows people to have options. I have friends who don’t have autism and like going at these times because it is easier for them to watch the movie.

We have learned that there are free closed-captioned glasses for people who have trouble hearing the movies. My husband is not deaf but sometimes the background music or special effects make it difficult for him to understand what the actors are saying. Again, this gives people options.

I like the idea of acceptance vs. awareness.

Do you do anything for Autism Acceptance Month? Please share.

Photo by Peter Burdon on Unsplash

No comments: