Thursday, April 14, 2022

Boggs Rock

For more pictures, click here.

Recently a friend told me about Boggs Rock and I had never heard of it. There is a trail to it that isn’t marked and unless you know about it, you wouldn’t know it was there. My husband and I decided it would be a fun adventure to go hunt for it. I think that people learn about it only by word of mouth because no one wants people to go there and vandalize it.

Boggs Rock is a granitic outcrop in South Carolina.

We found the elf orpine (Diamorpha smallia) that I heard could be found here. It blooms from late March to mid-April. When in bloom, the rock is covered in these tiny red flowers. The flowers are about 1 to 3 inches tall. Each plant has a bunch of round leaves that hold up bright white flowers.

We also saw lichens and mosses. The Wooly Ragwort and Yellow Jessamine were blooming and looked beautiful.

We were also excited to see tadpoles swimming in the pools of water found in the small depressions in the rock.

It was a magical place and I just hope it stays in good condition!

Original photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: