Thursday, March 24, 2022

Streaks can be Motivators

I recently saw this cool app called Streaks.

“Streaks is the to-do list that helps you form good habits. Every day you complete a task, your streak is extended.”

When I’m on a streak, I will work hard to keep it up and not break the streak. One time I logged my food on MyFitnessPal for almost three years without missing a day. Now I’m learning Spanish on DuoLingo and I’m on a 140-day streak of learning. When I’m trying to get 10,000 steps or more, it helps if I can get a streak going because I don’t want to miss a day and break the streak. There are many industrial workplaces that post how many days they have gone without any accidents.

In my classroom, I posted a count of how many days in a row all of my students did their homework. No one wanted to be the one who broke the streak. If there was any daily routine that I wanted to get students to follow consistently, we kept a running streak. Students loved to help change the number.

When I was having problems with minor disruptive behaviors, I decided we needed to use the streak motivator. I told my students if we had no more than 3 disruptions in one class period (52-minute classes), it counted as one day. I started a paper chain at the ceiling and for each day in a row, I would add a paper chain towards the floor. When the chain reached the floor, the class would get a reward. It was amazing how this visual reminder helped students control their behavior.

I could use this streak motivator for things such as:
  • Turn in homework
  • Complete all class assignments
  • Have necessary materials for class
  • Read a book for 30 minutes
  • Write for 10 minutes in a journal
  • Walk for 30 minutes
  • Random act of kindness each day
What other things can you add to the list? Please share.

No comments: