Tuesday, September 21, 2021

World Gratitude Day

September 21st is World Gratitude Day.

I don’t think we teach students about gratitude enough.

People and media focus so much on the negative that it becomes a habit.

We feel resentful about what we don’t have enough of such as time, money, friends, games, or anything else we want.

Yet, we forget to focus on what we do have.

I have a bullet journal that I intentionally think about things that I’m thankful for. Every day I think about something from the day before that I’m thankful for and write it down.

Maybe doing this on a daily basis would be too much for a class but it would be good to have my students list the things they are thankful for at least once a month.

Maybe have a class discussion and ask for volunteers to share something that they are thankful for. Each day I could pick 3 -5 students. At first, it might be slow to start but as this becomes a habit, it will become easier. Students will start looking at things from a different perspective so they will have something to share the next day.

Do you do something like this in your class? If so, please share. 

No comments: