Thursday, September 2, 2021

Willodeen– Book Review

I recently read Willodeen by Katherine Applegate. I read a review copy compliments of Netgalley and I am not being paid to give this review.

This book is about nature and the community of all of its inhabitants. Willodeen is a young orphaned girl living in a town that has blue willow trees, hummingbears, and screechers. This explains how nature intertwines all of its inhabitants and how they depend on each other for survival. Over the past few years, there have been fewer and fewer hummingbears which affects their annual Hummingbear fair. Willodeen discovers the answer to why this is happening.

What a wonderful book for students to read. It touches on topics of loss, friendship, standing up for what you believe in, nature, the food web, and community. I think it would make a great addition for a school or classroom library. Boys and girls would enjoy it equally. I could see a middle school class reading this as a class novel.

I enjoyed reading the book because it spurred my imagination as well as appreciated the nature connection.

No comments: