Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Observations

We can learn a lot by observing others. When we want to learn something, we should observe those who know how to do what we want to do.

I’ve always wanted to be a teacher, so I was constantly observing teachers as I went through school. I noted teachers that I felt were good and helped me be a better teacher. I observed those teachers that I knew I wouldn’t want to be like.

When students think about careers, they should go shadow someone already in the field. They should learn about the pros and cons of that career so they know what they're getting into if they decide to pursue it.

When I want to try a new craft, I like to go on YouTube and observe someone else actually making what I want to make. I can observe what they are doing so that I could do the same thing. If I watch several videos, I'll get a better idea of the different techniques used so I can decide which one will work best for me.

I believe students learn a lot by observing too and we don’t remember how influential observations may be.

When students are observing me, I want to be a good role model. I want them to see how I can solve problems. I want them to see how I deal with my emotions especially frustration, disappointment, and frustration. I want my students to observe that I try to be fair and kind to others.

Knowing that students are good at observing others, it is important to take time to discuss their observations. This is an important way to show you are not ignoring their knowledge of what others are doing and how they behave. By talking about the positive and negative things they observe, you can help them process what they have observed. They can learn to decide what actions are appropriate or not appropriate.

Observation is a crucial strategy in learning.

How do you encourage students to use the power of observation? Please share?

Photo by Elisabeth Wales on Unsplash

No comments: