Thursday, April 22, 2021

Be Imaginative

Recently I watched the movie The Imitation Game that tells how Alan Turing created a machine to break the code on the Enigma machine during WWII. One quote really stuck with me.

“Sometimes it’s the very people who no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. - Christopher Morcom”

Many students spend too much time and energy trying to be like everyone else. Yet, they will never be like someone else because each person is unique.

I was the student who was the last person to be picked for a sports team. I wasn’t very confident in my abilities.

I hated to work in groups because I was shy and not very confident that I measured up to everyone else.

No one would have ever imagined I would actually be a teacher. It was a dream of mine but even I wasn’t certain that I deserved to be a teacher. How could I teach others when I was so afraid to take a risk? Gradually my yearning conquered my fear and I worked hard to become a teacher.

I believe I have made a difference in many student’s lives. Although no one thought I could be capable of anything, I was capable of whatever I worked hard to accomplish.

Many of my students have doubts and fears also. It is my job to help the students to imagine the possibility of achieving whatever they want to do. I need to help them push fear to the back and help them work towards success.

I want students to look at successful individuals and ask them if they think the person just woke up one day and was successful. No, it took hard work and possibly multiple attempts before they were able to accomplish their goals.

How do you help your students imagine the possible? Please share.

Photo by Marija Zaric on Unsplash

2 comments:

Sydney said...

I am a soon-to-be teacher and I love this post! It really resonates with how I want to make my future students feel as I can relate to your childhood experience as well. I think that we have to look at every student as if they can do absolutely anything because any type of label or "ceiling" we put on them will likely be their downfall.

The Flying Teacher said...

I had them make vision boards and I teach them the power of yet!