Monday, November 18, 2019

Veteran’s Day and the Boston Red Sox


Last week we were invited to the Fisher House for a Veteran’s Day luncheon by Shelley Prickett, the director of the Fisher House in West Palm Beach. I have mentioned the Fisher House before but in case you missed it:

“A Fisher House is “a home away from home” for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers. The homes are normally located within walking distance of the treatment facility or have transportation available.”

We were blessed to be allowed to stay at the Fisher House when my father was in the VA Hospice Unit. 

This Veteran’s Day luncheon was very special to me. We were back in town and this was the first Veteran’s Day without my dad, so I was feeling sad when Shelley contacted me and invited us to the luncheon. Whenever I visit the Fisher House, I feel so surrounded by the love of caring people (staff and visitors).

What a thrill it was to find out that we were getting a visit from the Boston Red Sox Pitcher, Mike Shawaryn! He signed a Boston Red Sox pennant for each of us and took the time to visit with each of us and never seemed like he was in a hurry to leave. What an awesome young man who seemed so down to earth and caring! He brought his girlfriend, Emily, along and she was also such a gracious young woman. I was so honored that they took time out of their personal lives to come to visit the Fisher House and visit with the veterans and family who were there. I know that they are both such busy young people but were willing to meet people they didn’t know and share a piece of their life with us.

I want to thank the VA, Shelley Prickett,  and Samantha Wilkerson for hosting the luncheon and always making visitors feel like family!

If you ever get a chance to visit a Fisher House or give them support, it is a worthy opportunity that you will never regret!

Original photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: