Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Art of Giving


As this holiday season of Thanksgiving approaches, I see lots of people planning giving projects. I see people gathering gently used coats, hats, scarves, and mittens for the needy. I see people collecting food for the food banks. I see many people with a lot of good hearts thinking about other people. I see people collecting money and having fundraisers for others.

I think it is wonderful that there are so many people who think of others. It warms my heart to know that there are such nice people in the world despite seeing all the violence and horror on the news.

Yet, I want to warn people to be very sensitive in giving to others.

Some may not want to admit they need something or others don’t consider themselves needy.

It is important to respect other people’s privacy and pride.

While we may think that other people may need something, it is best to check with them first to see if they want what you are giving them. When asking them, it needs to be done privately so they don’t feel embarrassed.

Don’t assume that because you think people may need something, that they think they do too. They may be very happy just the way they are.

I have many students that would be embarrassed to take a used coat and then there are others who wouldn’t care. Sometimes respecting their pride and keeping them from being humiliated is more important than worrying about them keeping warm. If it gets bad enough or they get desperate enough, they will remember that you cared and may come to you for help at a later time.

What are some giving projects have you done that were successful? What advice would you give to finding recipients of your project? Please share.

Photo by Tom Parsons on Unsplash




No comments: