Thursday, November 21, 2019

Kindness



“How has someone shown kindness to you?

I have been blessed with many acts of kindness over the years.

I want to share some of the kind acts that were given to us this year.

The VA showed extreme kindness by helping us deal with my father’s death. The Fisher House did not have to extend their hospitality to us but they did.

Recently we joined a local senior center and this nice person invited us to dinner with her and her husband and friends. It was a fun time, and it was so nice to be welcomed.

When my father was sick, our good friends sent him flowers. It was such a thoughtful and kind thing to do.

When my father passed away, our good friends had dinner sent to us even though they were 700 miles away!

When we had to go home and leave my father in the hospital, my cousins jumped in and stayed with him while we were gone.

Kindness is more than just being nice. I believe it is the act of going beyond nice. I don’t believe people are born with this ability to be kind and it must be taught.

One way to teach this in the classroom is to have class discussions about kindness. Have students give examples of kindness. Then ask them to explain why it was considered a kindness.

Another way is to role-play. Give scenarios where they have to decide how to perform an act of kindness. Let different students show different ways if they know of other ways a person could show kindness for this scene.

Give a scenario and give two examples of actions – one showing kindness and one not. Ask the students to tell which one showed kindness.

Do you teach students how to be kind? What activities do you do? Please share.

Photo by Sandrachile . on Unsplash



No comments: