Monday, November 5, 2018

Taking A Break

In Hello. In  Teach. Run. Write, Christina Torres shares,

“So, I am trying to take a break and invest in myself. I bought a new running watch. I invested in a coaching plan. I’m trying to worry less about my times at Honolulu and Bird Marathon and focus on a marathon in March. I’m hoping to change things up to try and rediscover joy.”

As some of you might know, I’m been busy writing.

I like to have schedules and following them, so I’ve assigned two hours every morning for writing. Yet, every morning I have a moment of fear that I don't know what to write. I start some instrumental soft music from Pandora radio and then I start writing. The hardest thing is to get started so I start writing whatever comes to mind. Once I get started, my mind starts going faster than my fingers can type!

So, for the past few weeks, I’ve been busy writing.

Then I realized that I forgot to add in a few break days. Any habit that you do without a break can become a boring rut!

One reason I know this has happened is that I’ve taken a few days to revise some of my writing.

As I’m revising my writing, I am amazed at how many new ideas are popping in my head!

I love knitting and spinning yarn, but sometimes I take a break from my fiber arts and do some envelope art that involves colored pencils and marker.

Sometimes I like to get out and go hiking or do some gardening.

I usually encourage teachers to follow routines and how it helps students. But I realize that sometimes a break is necessary. As long as the students know that I am adding a break into the routine, I think they won’t mind having a change.

This change may actually be more helpful than harmful.

By changing things up, it is easier to rediscover the joy that Christina mentions.

Do you take breaks from your routine? What do you do? Please share.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash


No comments: