Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Carnival Breeze November 2018 Part 2

This is part 2 of our trip on the Carnival Breeze.

We went on a 14-day Journeys cruise on the Carnival Breeze. Our captain was Guiseppe Giusa, Chief Engineer: Vito Antonelli; Hotel Director: Carlos Santos de Melo; Cruise Director: Steven Schwartz. Our cabin steward was Lorenzo and we were in Cabin 1322. Our dinner table was 552 and our dining stewards were Danilo and Ari.

Day 8: Barbados 11/10/18

We had a lovely day in Barbados. We got off the ship at 9:15 and walked the catwalk out of the dock (and it was a long walk!). Then we turned right and walked into town (about 1 mile). We walked for a couple of hours and the weather looked threatening, so we took a cab back to the port (the cab fare was $2 per person). Then we took a free shuttle from the terminal to the ship because it was raining. After lunch, we sat on the deck and relaxed. Before dinner, we went to the Red Frog Pub to enjoy a couple of beers with Earl to celebrate his 50th birthday. At the end of the dinner, they brought a cake and sang happy birthday to him. Then we went back to our cabin and decided to go to bed early. While we were watching TV,  a repairman showed up to repair our sink and I told him that we were already in bed. I asked him if he could come back tomorrow and he said if I didn’t have a complaint about it, he wouldn’t fix it. I decided to talk to the hotel director the next day!

Day 9: At Sea 11/11/18

We had a lazy day at sea. I saw Lorenzo, our cabin steward, who knew what happened the night before and told me that the guy would fix our sink. After breakfast, I went to find the hotel director. I gave him the message from Roberta and then told him what a great cabin steward we had because he was fixing our situation. Of course, Carlos wanted to know more about the situation and I told him. Then we walked around the track for an hour. We also went to the Academy of Fun session and learned about shopping apps that will help us save money when shopping.  Then we relaxed and sat on the deck until teatime when I had delicious scones. The hotel director sent us a bottle of wine for dinner which was nice. After dinner, we went to the comedy show featuring Derrick Eason.

Day 10: St. Maarten 11/12/18

We walked into St. Maarten and planned on going to the beach, but the weather looked threatening as we walked into town. We ended up walking around town and stopped at Zee Zee’s for some beer (5 Miller Lite for $10) and talked to Andrea. She told us that Suzette was out of town for her daughter’s graduation.  We missed her! We got back to the ship around 1pm and had lunch. We sat on the outside deck for a little while before leaving to get ready for dinner. After dinner, we went to the comedy show featuring Dwight Slade who was pretty funny.

Day 11: Tortola 11/13/18

We got off the ship around 8:30am and walked around the town. We were surprised how devastated many of the buildings were from Hurricane Irma. We went to Pusser’s store to get Don a couple of more baseball caps with the pirate logo, but they were wrinkled and distorted, so he didn’t buy one ($22 each). Then we walked back through town on the way back to the ship. We got back on the ship by 10am. After lunch, we went back to the cabin to relax. After dinner, there wasn’t any show, so we had an early night.

Day 12: San Juan, Puerto Rico 11/14/18

We had a nice day in San Juan! We got off the ship around 8am and walked to the Castillo del Morro. I love walking there along the water and my daughter and son-in-law have never been there. It was about a 2-mile walk from the ship. We got there before it opened and just sat on the wall and enjoyed the scenery. After visiting the fort, we went to El Meson for Mallorcas and sodas. Then we visited the supermarket. We split up and they went to souvenir shops while we went to my hubby’s favorite second-hand store. It started raining harder about then, so we made it back to the ship around noon and had lunch. After lunch, we relaxed in our cabin and watched Coco on the movie channel. After dinner, we went to the comedy show featuring Billy D. Washington.

Day 13: At Sea 11/15/18

We had a lazy day at sea. We had our laundry done today. We also went to a lecture to learn about astronomy apps for your phone. Then we went to an arts and crafts session where we decorated wooden tags. We spent the rest of the afternoon resting until dinner. Hubby had to leave dinner and went to bed because he has some kind of respiratory thing going on. I think his sinus drip made him nauseous. When I got back to the room, I was able to pack my suitcase and organize some things in the room.

Day 14: At Sea 11/16/18

Another relaxing day at sea. My hubby felt much better today. After brunch, we got our Bloody Mary’s and we packed our suitcases. Then we went to the seminar on Photography using your smartphone. After that,  we went to the Lido deck and hung out until we got hungry. At 2pm, we went to Arts and Crafts but all they had were wooden tags and the earlier session had picture frames, so we were disappointed. We went to the Limelight Lounge to wait until the session on Editing your Photos. Before the session, we saw a crew member who went to the back storage room and gave us a couple of picture frame crafts that they had earlier in the day. We had to leave at 4pm to go to the Captain’s party. We were able to see the bar waiter, Nijo, there and he kept the Miller Lites coming our way. We had a nice farewell dinner in the dining room and then we had to put our suitcases out in the hallway. After that, we went to bed early.

Day 15: Debarkation 11/17/18

We got up to the Lido deck around 5:30 and they started serving breakfast at 6am. After breakfast we went to our meeting place (Sapphire Dining Room Deck 3 at 7:15am) By 7:45, we were getting off the ship. Getting off the ship was very well organized. As soon as we got to our luggage, all of the luggage was in an area marked “Diamond.” Going through customs was a breeze and we went straight to a shuttle desk to turn in our return tickets. We went straight to the bus and got on it. By 9:30am, we were on the road.

Things I Learned:

1.     Cab fare to town in Barbados was only $2 but it wasn’t far to walk if the weather is nice.
2.     We really liked the Academy of Fun sessions! They are informative and well worth going to.
3.     We found a nice outdoor bar to get beer in St. Maarten.
4.     We found out that there was a lot of damage to Tortola from the hurricane!
5.     If we go to Tortola again, we will look at taking an excursion to Virgin Gorda and The Baths.
6.     Tortola was our least favorite port on this trip.
7.     We love walking around San Juan when it is overcast and light rain!
8.     The store Ecomania is still there but it is only half the store that it used to be.
9.     The supermarket in San Juan sells diet Pepsi for .79.

Original Photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: