Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Season of Simplicity


“What title best describes the current phase of your life? How would you name it? Season of _____________.”

This year I have been trying to have the Season of Simplicity.

I tend to over commit and do too many things which leave me stressed out and anxious.

I enter knitting contests and then stress about the deadlines. Even though there is no penalty for not finished on time and missing the entry, I stress about this self-imposed deadline. I think it is a good idea when I start and then I kick myself later. This year I have only entered one year long contest which is knitting a stuffed animal each month. It takes me about 2-5 days to finish a project.

I don’t agree to serve on any more than 2 committees in one year. I’ve been asked to serve on several and have even felt like I wanted to serve at that time but then I remember my promise to keep it simple and I decline. Later, I’m usually glad that I didn’t commit to anything new.

I will not agree to teach more than one graduate class a year. I’ve committed to teaching the practicum every July until they no longer want me. I don’t want to teach during the fall or spring anymore because it seems to go on forever.

I’ve even streamlined my yearly goals and I’ve found that they are more manageable and easy to monitor. When I’m checking the results at the end of the month, it is easier to record my results.

If I buy any clothes, I am making sure that they are easy to clean and care for.

I’m trying not to worry too much about the “what ifs” and enjoy the “here and now.”

I think this would be a fun lesson to do with students at the beginning of the school year and then revisit it at the end of the year to see if they were successful.

How would you name your season? Please share.

No comments: