Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Fort Jackson Centennial


This past weekend I went with my husband to a Stamp Show hosted by the Columbia Philatelic Society. I expected to sit on the side knitting while I waited on my husband like I have done at other shows. But I was surprised to hear of a special ceremony unveiling a First Day Cover celebrating the centennial anniversary of Ft. Jackson. I was also thrilled to see Dr. Mick Zais, the President of the American Philatelic Society, there since I knew him as our former (and awesome) state Superintendent of Education. Dr. Zais is a retired Brigadier General and a former Newberry College President so you can imagine how thrilled I was that he took a photo with me!

Colonel Mark Shade, Deputy Commander, was one of the speakers and he told a lot of interesting information that I didn’t know about. After hearing him, I wanted to do some more research and thought I would share with you some things I learned from the speaker and the research.

1.     It was purchased by local businesses and local government in 1917 and donated to the War Department.
2.     It was named for President Andrew Jackson
3.     First drafted soldiers arrived in September 1917.
4.     August 15, 2940, Camp Jackson became known as Fort Jackson.
5.     Ft. Jackson covers 52,000 acres in Columbia, SC.
6.     There is a national cemetery there.
7.     It is the largest and most active Initial Entry Training Center in the United States Army.
8.     There have been about 5 million soldiers who have trained here.
9.     More than 50% of soldiers are trained here.
10.  Schools offered here:
§  AIT Platoon Sergeant
§  Postal School
11.  There is a museum call the US Army Basic Combat Training Museum that is open to the public.
12.  There is a US Army Chaplain Museum.

I hope sometime soon to go visit the museums. I have heard about Ft. Jackson but never really thought about how much history and education there is connected to it.

If you have a military installation near you, you might find that it is more interesting than you expected. If you do have one that students might find interesting, please share!

No comments: