Monday, January 11, 2016

Erosion of Our Rights

Recently in the news, there has been a lot of reporting about gun control. President Obama used his executive order to pass some gun control laws. I have some friends in favor of tighter gun control laws and other friends who are not in favor of these laws. I’m not here to debate about the laws but it seems to me that when we pass these types of laws, it only affects the law abiding citizens. The criminals, who weren’t going to follow any laws anyway, will not be affected by these type of laws. They will find a way to buy guns on the black market so the only ones limited from guns will be the law-abiding citizens.

By passing laws using his executive order, President Obama bypassed the legislature. This concerns me greatly because I feel that we have a 3 branch government (legislative, judicial, and executive) for a reason. The reason is so that we can have checks and balances. By overriding this checks and balance system, it feels more like a dictatorship than a democracy. What if he decides to pass some other law that he wants to pass? Isn’t this what Hitler did? How is this no different than a dictator deciding to do what he wants to do? I have to say, these times scare me.

Slowly little by little I feel that many of our rights have disintegrated. I know that many things have been implemented in the name of national security but I’m not sure all these measures have been necessary. Then as we have less and less rights, we become used to this and are complacent about this loss. Again, isn’t this how Hitler got so powerful?

I hope I’m wrong about the future because I do not want to see the same situations repeated as they happened in the past. I’m not sure what I can do about it other than sending a message through my votes. I do not plan on voting for the incumbents because I feel they are part of the problem. They get too comfortable in their positions and start playing politics for their own good rather than representing their constituents. When a new person gets elected and doesn’t do a good job, I will vote for someone new.

Have you noticed about our decrease in rights? If so, how will you fight against this? Please share.

No comments: