Monday, September 14, 2015

My Favorite Pie

In That's Why... from Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,

What is your favorite kind of pie?”

On Labor Day, we took some friends to the Apple Festival in North Carolina. I have to admit that apples are my favorite fruit. I like apples in practically any dish! I like apple dumplings, apple streusel, apple turnovers, and even apple ice cream! We even stopped at a coffee shop and I had an apple caramel frappuccino! So, of course, apple pie is my favorite. When we go out to eat and I’m going to have desert, my husband knows that I am going to have a dessert with apple in it!

I wonder how many teachers make an effort to find out what our students like. What are their favorite desserts? What is their favorite hobby? What is their favorite color?

When I start finding out what my students like, I start to show them that I care.

Once I start showing that I care, they start learning to care. I start building a rapport with them.

Once I develop a caring relationship with them, they start trying harder and want to make me proud. This happens in small steps but I have to start with small steps.

During the last 5 minutes of class, I start asking the students a question about their favorites. Sometimes I might make a chart to show the results. It opens up a conversation about the favorite item and teaches appropriate communication.

Here are some suggestions for asking students about their favorites.

1.     Pie
2.     Ice cream
3.     Flavor
4.     Movie
5.     Color
6.     Car
7.     Book
8.     Song
9.     Actress
10.  Actor
11.  Shoe
12.  Team
13.  Sport
14.  Animal
15.  Athlete

What else would you want to know about your students? Please share.

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

How about cake? Pizza topping? Restaurant? Otherwise, Pat, you've covered it rather thoroughly.

Thanks for the shout out.