Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Judging a Book By Its Cover

In First Impressions from Sioux's Page, Sioux asked,

“How much do you rely on first impressions? Is it hard for you to change your opinion after you form a first impression? Do you sometimes have to eat your words after relying too heavily on a first impression?” 

I know we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but I think that is human nature. I think that we can’t help ourselves. I think I rationalize my habit of doing so by saying that it is only a temporary judgment and I can always change it later when I have more facts and evidence. I try to keep my opinion to myself so I don’t have to eat my words or owe anyone an apology. I consider this being cautious and not necessarily rude.

When I meet new people, I like to talk to them and get to know them. I’m not so quick to judge people by the clothes they wear or what they look like as much as by the conversation we have. I learn a lot about a person by what they say and what their body language is like.

Usually my opinion that is formed from this first conversation is usually right but sometimes my opinion can change over time. I really feel disappointed when my first impression of someone is wrong. I start to doubt my own judgment and how I see people. I think I want to shield myself from this disappointment so I tend to go slowly with making judgments.

I like to talk to my students on the first day and think about what kind of students they may be. Some are hesitant and shy while others are aggressive or class clowns. Sometimes their behaviors may be a defense mechanism for their academic weaknesses.  I need to make sure that I go deeper than first impressions because they may not always be true of the real person.

This makes me wonder about what kind of first impression do I make to my students. How do I come across? What do my words and body language say to them? I think it is important to take a close look at this before the first day and decide what kind of impression I want to give. This may determine the tone of the class for the rest of the year.


What do you think about first impressions? Please share.

No comments: