Monday, August 10, 2015

Cades Cove August 2015

For pictures, click HERE

Sunday, August 2, 2015:
We left home around 7:30am and stopped for breakfast at the other side of town. On the way there, we noticed that the passenger side window would not roll down and it wasn’t the window lock because Don couldn’t get it to roll down from the driver’s side either. We arrived at Cades Cover around noon after stopping for lunch in Townsend. Setting up camp didn’t take long and we walked around the campground. For dinner we cooked a rib eye but the neighbors stopped by to talk and our steak got a little overcooked.

Monday, August 3, 2015:
After breakfast we hiked to Abrams Falls. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the top where we turn to go down to the falls. It took 50 minutes from there to the falls. The total mileage was 6 miles even though it says it is only 5 miles to the falls.  When we got back to the campsite we decided to go play in the river. Don had some swollen feet and his knee hurt so the cold water helped it.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015:
We just were pretty lazy and recuperated from yesterday’s hike. We walked about the campground several times and even played in the river again. We ate a late lunch/early dinner. We don’t want to make burgers next time we camp. I need to make chili ahead of time and freeze it so it will be ready for us when we go camping.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015:
After breakfast we drove to Tremont and hiked the Middle Prong Trail. Our total mileage was 6 miles again. Along the way we passed a side trail that led to an old 1920s Cadillac.  That was a pretty cool thing to see. We stopped in Townsend for a late lunch and when we got back to our campsite, it had rained pretty heavy while we were gone. Luckily it was over by the time we returned.

Thursday, August 6, 2015:
I was up as usual at 5am and started my morning fire. While sitting around the campfire, the rain would sporadically hit and I would get under the canopy until it stopped. My fire almost went out but started back up once the rain stopped. When Don woke up, we decided that since it was expected to rain all day, we would head home.  On the way home, we found out the Tahoe’s air conditioning didn’t work. We did drive through some rain on the way home. When we got home we found out that the air conditioning in the main part of the house was not working! Well, that was the third thing so hopefully that is all that needs to be fixed.

Original photo by Pat Hensley


Sioux Roslawski said...


Cades Cove is a pretty part of the country. (We had a family reunion there--a few years ago--since my mother-in-law is a Tipton.)

I hope that WAS the final thing that had to be fixed. Was it a miserable ride home, without AC? I hope not...

loonyhiker said...

It was a hot ride coming home but the other windows worked so at least we had some air coming in.