Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Yoda Says


I was thinking about this quote today and thinking about the education system and my own teaching.

I know that we rage against the “system” and all the new things that come down the pipe.  But sometimes I think that at least someone is doing something. Everyone has his or her own point of view and hopes of something that will work, that will improve the system, which will help children. At least someone is doing something.

Sometimes I’m guilty of thinking wonderful thoughts and having great ideas. I think I’ve found some great strategies online and I bookmark the site or I pin it on Pinterest. I might read about something great on blogs and mark it to be read later. I have so many of these bookmarked that I’m not sure I have enough time to read them all. I see this as an effort to be a better teacher but it is all about trying. I’m not really doing anything.

I need to take an idea and run with it. I need to put it in action. I need to do something! I need to be ready to take action and not try to do something.

In the same way, I need to cut the powers that be some slack. When new tactics are handed down or new tools are given to teachers to use, I need to be more open-minded. I need to encourage others to use them and not just try. They need to have the attitude that it will work. If I go into something with the expectation that it will fail, then most of the time it will. I need to do it with the attitude that it will work and give it an honest chance.

As Yoda says, there is no try. It is time to do or do not.

Image: 'Green the Masta Is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61785314@N00/369928383
Found on 
flickrcc.net


No comments: