Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker Suite - A Book Review

DUKE ELLINGTONI recently read the book Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker Suite By Anna Harwell Celenza  and Illustrated by Don Tate which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):
This was a great picture book with audio CD. It was really interesting and entertaining. The illustrations would definitely hold a student’s interest. This book could be used to introduce many topics or even enhance lessons on these topics. Topics could include Duke Ellington, Billy StrayhornTchaikovsky, different music genres, general music appreciation, jazz, geography, new vocabulary, musical instruments,
The audio CD was awesome too and I think children would enjoy that. It would be fun to hear children talk about what they think the music is saying. One of my favorite activities when I was in elementary school was to use my imagination and write stories to go along with the music.
I would give this book a 5 out of 5.
Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: