Monday, February 20, 2023

What if…No Social Media

Lent season is coming up and I know many people stop using social media during lent. Others just like taking a break from social media and others just stop using it at all.

I believe a major factor in the usefulness of social media depends on your purpose for using social media. I like staying connected to family and friends that I would lose touch with if it weren’t for social media. In fact, I have been able to reconnect with many, which is wonderful! I also try to connect with many positive people so I find their posts inspirational and make me feel good. I avoid any negative posts and will disconnect if I feel the person brings too much unnecessary drama into my life.

Yet, if I stopped using social media, I’m not sure anyone would notice. The reason is that I don’t use it to get people to notice me. I have no idea how many followers I have or how many people I follow. If I like things they post, I tend to follow them and when I open up the app and their stuff pops up, I will see it. I have a few people that I have notifications turned on for but they are a very limited amount of people.

The people that I am most close to are those that I can see in real life. I stay in touch with them throughout the week and some family members connect with me several times a day. It is this group of people that I think (or hope) would miss me if they hadn’t heard from me in a couple of days.

Social media is a luxury and if it disappeared, it would be a disappointment but not a disaster.

How do you feel about social media? Please share.

No comments: