Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Self Care

I have seen too many people apologize for taking care of themselves. They feel selfish and unfeeling toward others. Over time, I think we are taught to feel this way whenever we try to take care of ourselves. I agree that if we are constantly only thinking about ourselves with little regard for others and it interferes with our relationship with others over time, we may be too self-centered. Yet, taking care of ourselves is as important as taking care of others. When we are given safety instructions on an airplane, parents are instructed to put their oxygen masks over their own faces before helping their children. If they don’t, they may not be in a position to help their children.

Nutrition: I believe that we need to eat healthy foods in order to keep our bodies in good shape. Students don’t automatically know what are healthy foods so they need to be taught this. It is important to look at labels on food to see how many calories, salt, carbohydrates, and sugar are in the foods. I also point out that the more ingredients that I can’t pronounce, the more I avoid these foods. I try to eat more fresh or frozen vegetables and avoid canned vegetables. I also limit the number of carbohydrates and sugar I eat every day.

Exercise: I try to exercise at least 30 minutes every day. If I have a choice of stairs or an elevator, I choose the stairs. When parking at the store, I park as far away from the door as possible ( not only for exercise, but it makes it easier to find my car!). I also try to get up and stand every hour. When I’m watching a movie on TV, I walk in place during the commercials.

Meditation: I spend 10 to 15 minutes at the beginning of each day to just quiet my mind. I put on soft music and do some deep breathing exercises. This helps my whole body relax and re-energize. It helps me prepare for the day.

Attitude: I also start each day with a positive attitude. I think about what I’m thankful for. I avoid any negative thoughts and say some positive affirmations such as:
  • It’s going to be a great day!
  • I feel great!
  • I’m so glad to be alive.
  • I can face anything that comes my way today.
Hobby: I try to work on one of my hobbies at least once a day for an hour. I have several hobbies so I can choose whatever I’m in the mood to work on. Some people call this “me time” but it is very important for our overall health. I like to knit, crochet, spin yarn, read, garden, hike, play my accordion, and do digital scrapbooking. I’m learning how to play the ukulele and also learning to paint with watercolors.

I think self-care is as important as caring for others in order to be successful in life.

What do you do for self-care? Please share.

No comments: